A fundamental problem in understanding the behavior of complex networks is the ability to correctly detect communities. Communities are groups of entities (represented as vertices) that are more connected to each other as opposed to other entities in the system. Detecting communities is of great importance in sociology, biology and computer science, disciplines where systems are often represented as graphs.
The research on the topic by the group can be two divided into two broad categories – (i) Developing metrics and algorithms to identifying and understanding communities in general and (i) Analyzing properties of communities in citation, collaboration and other social networks.
- Constant communities
- Citation Interactions among Computer Science Fields
- Multilayer modularity
Members & Collaborators:
- Tanmoy Chakraborty
- Animesh Mukherjee
- Niloy Ganguly
- Soumajit Pramanik
- Bivas Mitra
- Sanjukta Bhowmick
- Tanmoy Chakraborty, Sandipan Sikdar, Vihar Tammana, Niloy Ganguly, Animesh Mukherjee. Computer Science Fields as Ground-truth Communities: Their Impact, Rise and Fall, In IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM), Niagara Falls, Canada, August 25-28, 2013, pp. 426-433.
- Tanmoy Chakraborty, Abhijnan Chakraborty. OverCite: Finding Overlapping Communities in Citation Network, In IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM 2013), Niagara Falls, Canada, August 25-28, 2013, pp. 1124-1131.
- Tanmoy Chakraborty, Sriram Srinivasan, Niloy Ganguly, Sanjukta Bhowmick, Animesh Mukherjee. Constant Communities in Complex Networks, Nature Scientific Reports 3, 1825, 2013.
- Tanmoy Chakraborty, Sandipan Sikdar, Niloy Ganguly, Animesh Mukherjee. Citation Interactions among Computer Science Fields: A Quantitative Route to the Rise and Fall of Scientific Research, Social Network Analysis and Mining (SNAM), Springer, 4:187, pp. 1-18, DOI 10.1007/s13278-014-0187-3, 2014.
- Tanmoy Chakraborty, Sriram Srinivasan, Niloy Ganguly, Animesh Mukherjee, Sanjukta Bhowmick. On the permanence of vertices in network communities, 20th ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, New York city, August 24 – 27, 2014, pp. 1396-1405.
- Tanmoy Chakraborty, Sikhar Patranabis, Pawan Goyal, Animesh Mukherjee. On the formation circles in co-authorship networks, In Proceedings of 21th ACM SIGKDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, Sydney, August 10 – 13, 2015.
- Tanmoy Chakraborty, Sriram Srinivasan, Niloy Ganguly, Animesh Mukherjee, Sanjukta Bhowmick. Permanence and Community Structure in Complex Networks,ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data (TKDD), 11:2, 14:1-14:34, 2016.
- Tanmoy Chakraborty, Suhansanu Kumar, Niloy Ganguly, Animesh Mukherjee, Sanjukta Bhowmick. GenPerm: A Unified Method for Detecting Non-overlapping and Overlapping Communities, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), 28:8, ISSN 1041-4347, pp. 2101-2114, April 2016.
- Soumajit Pramanik, Raphael Tackx, Anchit Navelkar, Jean-Loup Guillaume and Bivas Mitra, “Discovering Community Structure in Multilayer Networks”, The 4th IEEE International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA), Tokyo, Japan, October 19-21, 2017. (To appear)